The INSIDER Summary:
- Selfie smartphone case developer Snap Light has filed a lawsuit against Kim Kardashian’s company Kimsaprincess Inc. and LuMee.
- Snap Light is accusing LuMee of stealing its design and Kardashian of making a profit through her endorsements of the product on social media.
- The developer claims to have invented the smartphone case first, filing a patent in 2013.
- The company is seeking $100 million in damages.
- A representative for the Kardashians told TMZ that the lawsuit “has no merit” and that “Kim has done absolutely nothing wrong.”
Kim Kardashian West is no stranger to a legal dispute. She recently received a lawsuit from a makeup artist who claimed Kardashian stole her initials for her beauty brand KKW.
Snap Light — a product developer that claims to have invented the first selfie-illuminating smartphone case, which also retails for $69.95 — sent a patent infringement lawsuit to Kardashian’s company Kimsaprincess Inc. and LuMee, seeking damages of $100 million, the Daily Mail reported.
Snap Light alleges that LuMee ripped off its design of the smartphone case and is accusing Kardashian of making a profit from her public endorsements of the product on social media.
A man named Hooshmand Harooni claims to have filed a patent for an “integrated lighting accessory and case for a mobile phone device” in 2013, according to Snap Light’s complaint cited by the Daily Mail. The full patent is available on Snap Light’s website.
As this previous INSIDER article noted, however, LuMee says its phone case was designed by Jersey-based photographer Allan Shoemake in 2011.
Here are the two phone cases side-by-side:
As for the allegations against Kardashian’s endorsement of the product, a representative for the Kardashians told TMZ: “The patent lawsuit filed by Snap Light has no merit and is just another attempted shakedown. Kim has done absolutely nothing wrong.”
The reality star has posted multiple photos with her LuMee case to Instagram.
Kardashian is rarely seen without her phone.
She even got Hillary Clinton to sample the phone case for a “perfectly lit selfie.”
— Kim Kardashian West (@KimKardashian) January 11, 2016
INSIDER has contacted Snap Light and LuMee for comment. We will update this story with any developments.
FOLLOW US: INSIDER is on Facebook