Good morning! Here’s the technology news you need to know this morning.
1. A senior engineer at Google wrote a manifesto against diversity and employees are furious. The manifesto criticises company initiatives aimed at increasing gender and racial diversity and argues that Google should instead focus on “ideological diversity.”
2. Apple will reportedly release an Apple Watch with its own internet connection by the end of the year. The new Apple Watch could also get a redesign.
3. Amazon is thinking about building mobile drone stations on trains, vans, and boats. A new patent filing by the company outlines a way to fit mobile drone maintenance stations on trains and container ships.
4. Apple’s months-long AirPod shortage is finally starting to end. It increased production capacity for the AirPods and the wait time is going down.
5. Travis Kalanick has hired an advisory firm to fix his image. The company, Teneo, confirmed that it has been hired by the former Uber CEO.
6. Apple is reportedly claiming one third of Samsung’s current OLED display production for the iPhone 8. Machines will operate with a 60% yield and churn out about 79 million displays for Apple to make iPhone 8s with.
7. Google wants to use artificial intelligence to hide crashing Android apps on the Play Store. Apps that are found to crash a lot will be downranked in charts.
8. Amazon relisted Blu smartphones on its site after a “false alarm.” It originally suspended sales of the devices because of concerns that the phones collected user data.
9. A mysterious driverless minivan was spotted driving around the DC area. There were no humans in the front seats.
10. It looks like Spotify is finally coming to the Xbox. Leaks revealed what the application will look like.