Several injuries and at least one death have been reported after a car drove through a crowd of counter-protesters in Charlottesville on Saturday afternoon, according to video footage recorded at the scene and media reports.
The incident occurred after clashes between white nationalists and counter-protesters subsided a bit. At least ten injuries have been reported so far, and Charlottesville mayor Mike Signer said that one person has died. A Virginia State Police spokesperson told The Washington Post that injuries ranged from minor to life-threatening.
The incident appears to have been intentional, and the driver of the car was reportedly arrested shortly after.
The protests accompanied a “Unite the Right” rally that was called by white nationalists in response to a plan to remove a statue of Confederate general Robert E. Lee from a park in Charlottesville, Virginia.
One of the counter-protesters who was hit described the scene to a reporter shortly after. “There were just a few cars that counter-protesters were blocking,” the man said.
He then said that the driver of the car was “honking their horn” and then “they were just, like, bulldozing through people.”
Another witness had two friends who were hit by the car and had to take them to the hospital. The witness described the incident as “absolutely intentional.”
“A packed street and a car comes speeding down, at least 40 mph and rams into everyone, backs up and does it again,” they said in a text message to Outline staff writer William Turton.
“I am furious & heartsick by the car crash that has injured many,” Signer tweeted. “Please all-go home to your families. We can work tomorrow. GO HOME! PLEASE!”
Virginia Gov. Terry McAuliffe declared a state of emergency earlier on Saturday, as clashes between white nationalists and counter-protesters continued to escalate.
Warning: The footage below contains graphic content and may be disturbing to some viewers
— Adrian Chen (@AdrianChen) August 12, 2017
Video of car hitting anti-racist protestors. Let there be no confusion: this was deliberate terrorism. My prayers with victims. Stay home. pic.twitter.com/MUOZs71Pf4
— Brennan Gilmore (@brennanmgilmore) August 12, 2017